-->

  • THE WEB DEVELOPER, MY JOURNEY

     As a web developer, I have learned many skills. I always want to challenge myself throughout my career. This has lead me into exploring web development from designer to digital marketing.





    Below are some of the platforms and code editors I have used to develop websites. I have over 10 years in web development and recently started my tutorial on web development to help others learnt new skills and follow my path where you get skills from designer to developer to digital marketer.

    1. Blogger. I have been using blogger for over 10 years. It is one of my favorite blog sites development platform owing to its ease of use. It is owned by Google and such it makes much of work easier. I have used it for my personal blogs using various templates. I also design my onw themes and upload for use. Thus requires advance knowledge in HMTL, JavaScript and CSS. With blogger, one can create even complex websites. You only need to have basic understanding of HTML, JavaScript and CSS. However, if you are creating a basic blog or website then no knowledge in web design is needed. The platform is straight forward.
    2. Joomla. This was one of my first platform to develop a corporate website. Installation was pretty simple, required basic understanding of Web design to start. Creating pages and templates was easy. I would work offline on my local server then upload complete website in test server for testing. Once the testing was complete I would then migrate to a webhost. I found it easy to work with Joomla. It could handle any form of website. Updates and back up were pretty much easy to do.
    3. Wordpress.com. Just like blogger, I have used wordpress.com to develop blogs. I used this during my initial stages of web development. This as before I learnt coding. It was easy and straight forward to use. No technicalities involved. Hosting was taken care of. I would be concerned with creating content. However with advent of SEO, then it became harder to optimize this blogs owing to limitation on hosted blogs. This lead me to learn word press as a CMS.
    4. WordPress. This has been my favorite web design CMS. From local hosting to online hosting, I found it easier to use. Lots of themes and templates to use. Plugins come in hardy where specific functionalities are needed. It is SEO capability made it my favorite. Most of the web hosts I have used provide WordPress. Installation is simple. With over 10 years using WordPress, I would say I have not found another replacement for WordPress. Where resources and funding is available, I prefer WordPress. Its alternative is Blogger.com. When it comes to security, it is comes hardy with requires settings and plugins. Integration with database is simple as it supports MySQL among other databases.
    5. Wix. This is another alternative to WordPress and Blogger.com. The interface is simple for beginners. SEO is also pretty simple with wizard like assistance. While I use it, I find it limiting in terms of file management. Unlike WordPress, you cannot access your file directory. I have used it for corporate website. The downside is that you cannot limit users from accessing your webpages. this may expose your website if it has to be updated by third parties. Their user role is not limiting compared to WordPress.
    6. Dreamweaver. This was my First code editor for web development. When creating website from scratch, I used Dreamweaver. As an Adobe product, I had much faith with it and also look more professional to use it. Its interface was also simple to understand and use. I liked the fact that I could use it on my local computer then upload files to webhost when ready.
    7. Visual studio. One of my favorite code editor. I use it when designing asp.net websites. It is integration with MS SQL database makes it my favorite. I use it when designing systems that require online access.
    8. Notepad++. Another of my favorite especially when coding from scratch. I also use it to edit code.
    My journey as web developer was easy owing to skill I learnt and possess
    • Computer skills.
    • Strong numerical and mathematical skills
    • .Creativity.
    • Communication skills.
    • Logical approach to work.
    My experience in web development span in various fields.
    • Responsive websites. - Creating websites that loads fast, compatible with all devices and device screens. All elements functions as required with fast page load speed. 
    • Front end development - I possess good front end web development skills. Good command in HTML, CSS and JavaScript. I also mastered jQuery, bootstrap, UI design, principles of SEO.
    • Back end web development. I have good command in PHP, Python, Java, SQL, MySQL and Git.
    • Monetization. - I usually monetize my websites using ads, paid subscriptions, Ecommerce integrations and affiliate marketing. My strategy is to give users good user experience while maintaining website as a profitable as possible.
    • Hosting _ through my career as web developer, I have learnt what to look for when choosing a web host. I have worked with both paid and free hosts.
    • Security - Website security is the most important this when hosting. My cyber security skills comes in handy. I always make sure to secure my websites and allow secure connections.
    • SEO - I always make sure my websites are SEO optimized to easily rank on major search engines. This guarantees free traffic and exposure to wider audience.

    I usually start with designing website using adobe XD, adobe photoshop and illustrator. After design, I export all UI elements. The prototype guides me in the real web design and coding. After coding, I integrate any other function that may be required. this includes monetization and updating website with real data. When satisficed, I migrate website to the host or production URL.

    The choice of platform to use depends with functionalities needed. The web host and the choice of hosting package also dictates to some extent what to use. 

    For clients, I always ask them to send message so that we have a common understanding of the project. this minimizes the time it takes to develop and hand over the website. Support is guaranteed even after handover. The key is to make my clients happy.

    If you would like to have your website developed, check under orders or contact me directly.

  • 0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    Want to place order and request a quote?

    Are you looking for professional and proven services or in need of valuable assistance? Am here to help you!

    ADDRESS

    Nairobi, Kenya

    EMAIL

    chege3@gmail.com

    WHATSAPP

    +254 717 446573

    MOBILE

    +254 717 446573