-->

  • DJ WA-ANGEl - MY JOURNEY AS DJ

    Born out of passion, my DJ career started way back in campus. I always used to enjoy DJ music mix and would dance along the mixes, of course under influence. I use to like the way they would mix two songs and sound like it is just continuation of the first song. I never thought that one day I would be able to Dj. It looked challenging and demanding.




    I search over internet what I would require to start mixing songs. While I don't own any Dj equipment, my computer skills came in handy. That would mean using software without the turntable. I started on with simple to learn Dj software which would auto mix the songs. This didn't look real and some songs were off the beat.

    I bumped into virtual dj software and that's how my life changed. Learning was easy. I mastered how to mix two songs and as beginner it meant a lot of trial and error. I played with the keys and was able to master the basics. I never though I would get online. My mixes didn't sound professional. I didn't share with anyone for fear of ridicule.

    One night out of boredom I decided to try virtual DJ and give it all my best and what I learnt. I played a reggae set. I replayed my recording not once but multiple times. It sounded different. I still didn't believe am the one who did it. So, I retired the recording for few days and decided to play. A friend who was listening commented. I thought he was referring to comedy on television. He told me to replay the mix and if I could copy for him.

    As a friend I gladly copied and done with the mix. A few minutes I saw a notification on my YouTube that the friend had uploaded a video. I decided to check for the sake of clearing the notification. The video was my mix and had by then received 1000 views. I couldn't believe. By then YouTube had not introduced copyright music rule on their monetization policy. Comments came in. He didn't know I was the one who had done the set.

    I did another set and uploaded it be fore anyone got to hear it together with my first set. I got few subscribers and over 10000 views on both videos. Comments came flowing in and the likes. What motivated me was that the dislikes were few. Going by comments, I looked like a professional DJ. My friend also got to know who the Dj was. He asked for more mixes which I did in good faith.

    My channel grew and couldn't believe I was a Dj without name. I started lookin for favorite name that would be unique. All the names I came up with had another Dj using them. One day I toyed with the name used to call me. Finally I rested on Dj Wa-Angel. I used online text to voice apps to record my new Dj Name. 

    I update my channel and create social media accounts for it. I did more sets and this time I had mastered the dj mixing skills. The name blew up and I got my first 100,000 views. It was awesome. While this didn't earn me any revenue, other videos which I had monetized gained and some revenue started streaming in. As luck would be on my way, I reached the amount required to add payment details. Google sent the code and I activated the account.

    Sometimes you will not miss snitches in your group. One of the subscriber reported a set to one of my favorite artist manager. I got request to pull down the songs. At first I rejected the message and even blocked her from getting access to my mixes. The songs were picking up. She sent an email now requesting we discuss and of course this time she was looking for payment to allow me to continue using the songs.

    It sounded ridiculous considering I was not earning anything from this mixes. I declined and pulled all the songs down. This didn't amuse her as she asked for forgiveness and I reupload the music but with conditions. This was my channel and now an outsider was ordering me what to do. I ignored her messages. 

    Few days down the line and revenue was growing, YouTube came with the new requirements of 1000 subscribers and at least 4000 watch hours. Since  my subscribers were below this, my channel was deactivated for monetization. That meant getting subscribers. I used my sets to request people to subscribe. I reached the target but then most of the music was copyrighted. YouTube rejected my channel. I made decision to drop all the sets and leave what was copyright free.

    This came with consequences.. My watch time dropped to below the required. I had to start all over again. I gave up and stopped doing Dj sets. I moved my channel to other stuff that would increase my watch time and guarantee approval. As I was pondering on the next move an idea came. 

    What else would I do to earn as Dj? I did research and found that I could live stream or use my social media and as for tips from listeners. I would also upload on YouTube and use affiliate marketing. Also, upload on other sites and share set with friends. In turn I would ask a favor to download. 

    The idea was practical. I started a new channel and blog. I activate the new strategy which has been paying very well. I also upgraded my sets which brought more listeners and even downloads. What motivates me is when I find my sets being played in a parties and public transport.


    Whatever I started as a hobby is now a career earning enough to pay for my bills. Dj is a career like any other. You can earn more than even someone who is full time engineer. It is all about the strategies you use. Look out for my Dj sets.



  • 0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    Want to place order and request a quote?

    Are you looking for professional and proven services or in need of valuable assistance? Am here to help you!

    ADDRESS

    Nairobi, Kenya

    EMAIL

    chege3@gmail.com

    WHATSAPP

    +254 717 446573

    MOBILE

    +254 717 446573