-->

  • MY JOURNEY AS FULL TIME EMPLOYEE

     Immediately after graduating from University I was offered internship opportunity. I joined the company as Customer service representative. My task was to fill papers and assist clients when called upon. This provided opportunity to learn how the company operates. I was new working in any company or even engaging in any activity that would bring forth some earnings. I did this tasks for two months.




    I completed filling and had no other work left to do. Nobody wanted to share what they do as the company was occasionally retrenching employees. Reality dawned on me that the skills I had learned in school were  not applicable in the current internship opportunity I was given,

    I had to adjust myself and adapt to new environment and take any opportunity that came along. My interest was in information technology but didn't have any certifications to enable me apply or experience to enable me apply for the same. The company also didn't have I.T department.

    An opportunity came up in the Finance department. I was offered that chance to try my luck. I was taken through the basics of accounting. Luckily I am those people who grasp details in short span. I was able to complete my task and other employees though I had done accounting.

    I was permanently employed as account assistant. The person who was helping me advises I take accounting course so that I could secure my spot. With the little pay I was getting, this was not possible.

    An year down the line and I had mastered most of accounting terminologies. By this time, most people had left the company. God's favor was on myside. With two years in accounting, I had done more work than those who had been employed before me.

    There was change of management and executive wing. This spelt doom as I didn't have papers to secure my spot. One day the new executive called me and I thought this was my end. As we discussed he offered me opportunity to start my own department. This time no qualifications were needed as it was very urgent. I didn't even hastate. I joined the new operations department. Time didn't pass long before the person who was handling I.T resigned. Being in operations meant I could handle any task.

    I.T roles were handed over to me. I had only three hours to learnt from him. I grasped what I though would enable me handle I.T. From the skills I learnt helping our university technician, I was now entering the department I dreaded to be in. I wrote down my do's and don'ts.

    Luckily it was a small company and therefore there was no much to do in I.T. Most services were also outsourced. I worked my way up trying to understand what each team was doing. As fate would be, contracts for the outsourced services were terminated.

    This meant I would have to handle all I.T functions on my own. No formal I.T training no certifications. One thing I told myself I that for every action in I.T there is undo function. Also any function that requires you edit, delete, add or save will result in data changes. This were functions I would avoid no matter the situation at hand.

    Network was the next headache. How do I handle something I don't even understand. I requested for network diagram as I had seen something of sort on internet. I was handed over the document. I studied and tried to understand what each component did. I tried my best to simplify the terminologies to layman's language. To my shock, it was this terminologies that made me think I.T is hard.

    I also taught myself database, web design, software and hardware skill on internet. I would then try and apply that to our daily office work. Things ran smoothly and even the executive thought I was hiding my I.T certifications. He offered to pay for a course in I.T. I grandly took that opportunity and that marked the start of my journey in I.T.

    It was a crush course and hence no much to learn practically. By this time I had gotten used to I.T environment. I was also comfortable working with data. The little knowledge I had gathered from internet increase my confidence level.

    For the first time the company won awards in I.T. This made the executive add more responsibilities. this meant I was to understand complete operations of the company. All services that were outsourced were handed over to me. After all the goal of the company is to use available resources and minimize expenses.

    I made change on the network to limit external access as that would be the only way someone would access our system. Now I was in full control and had basic understanding of I.T. I was tasked with few programming projects which meant spending time on internet research and working on them.

    This is how I found myself in programming. A field that I ever wanted to be in. The opportunity was there by no skills. Internet was my savior. Within three months I had mastered C# and visual basic.net languages. I would code web based applications and host them.

    I also started my side hustle as Nokia developer. This boosted my programming skills. With my knowledge in account and customer service, I would help in creating application that would be used by said departments. Automating excel and word application to simplify other staff member's work.

    It was during this time I learnt website design and development. We used Joomla at that time. It was easy to create website and host. Later I also learnt Wix and hosted our company website. I would create VPN's to connect our company resources to our partner networks. 

    We the did system upgrade and that meant discontinue the current system and implement new system. The team that had been outsourced to provide system programming and maintenance had terminated their contract. I applied my database skills and migrated data from current system to new system. This was completed in time and had to learn the new system.

    I took interest in back end operations. This created opportunity of learning operations of the new system. This worked to my advantage as I was the most skilled person in the company. While these exposure provided avenue to grow, my earning still remained low. I had to start my side hustles to keep me running and maintain the image of employed and earning. this is how I started as game and app developer. I would jungle between my normal office work and my side hustle.

  • 0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    Want to place order and request a quote?

    Are you looking for professional and proven services or in need of valuable assistance? Am here to help you!

    ADDRESS

    Nairobi, Kenya

    EMAIL

    chege3@gmail.com

    WHATSAPP

    +254 717 446573

    MOBILE

    +254 717 446573